Community

The best resource for Jewish events and the Jewish community in Philadelphia

Dear Miriam | How Do You Recruit, Involve Volunteers?

Dear Miriam, I am starting a new project that requires volunteer energy to keep it going.

Passover Resource Guide: Check Out the Many Activities Available to Safely Celebrate the Holiday

Passover comes early this year, beginning the evening of Saturday, March 27 and running through the evening of Sunday, April 4. This year, the...

Dear Miriam | Breakup Cause Shabbat Pain

For many years, but especially during the pandemic, my partner and I celebrated Shabbat every week and all the Jewish holidays.

Tara Cherwony: The Next Generation in the Fight Against Hunger

Jewish Relief Agency’s (JRA) warehouse once bustled with hundreds of volunteers for its monthly food packing and distribution

Dear Miriam | Why Are People Going Overboard for Passover?

I've always thought people go kind of overboard for Passover ...

The Jewish Federation Helps JCHAI Serve Disability Population During Pandemic

Unemployment has been at an all-time high during the pandemic. Many of those impacted include people with disabilities, like Jordyn Dannenbaum.

Dear Miriam | What’s the Etiquette for a Zoom Shiva?

I have to go to a Zoom shiva this week. I know these have been happening for nearly a year, but this will be my first one. What usually happens at these? Is there any etiquette I should know about?

Former Pa. Budget Secretary Michael Masch Dies

Michael Masch, financial and operations manager for Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and several colleges and universities, died Feb. 7 in Washington, D.C. He was 70. Masch served...

Connie Smukler: A Real-life Hero for the Soviet Jews

When Israeli politician and human rights activist Natan Sharansky published “Never Alone: Prison, Politics, and My People,” a memoir chronicling his years of political imprisonment in Soviet Russia and life after his release, it quickly drew global acclaim.

Dear Miriam | Purim Opt-out a Possibility?

Dear Miriam, I don't think I can stomach the forced happiness of Purim this year, the groggers over Zoom, the pandemic-themed spiels. Can I opt out?