News Briefs: Philip Roth Dies, Ohio State AEPi Suspended, and More

0

Exponent Wins Awards in Three Contests

The Jewish Exponent won multiple awards in all of the journalism contests it entered this year.

In the American Jewish Press Association’s Simon Rockower Awards for Excellence in Jewish Journalism, Editor-in-Chief Joshua Runyan and former Staff Writer Rachel Kurland have received either first- or second-place awards for their work in 2017.

The exact category and award placement will remain undisclosed until an awards banquet held in conjunction with the AJPA’s annual conference in Cleveland on June 17-19.

In addition, in the Society of Professional Journalists Keystone Pro Chapter’s Spotlight Contest, Staff Writer Selah Maya Zighelboim received first-place honors, while Kurland won two third-place awards.

Zighelboim was honored in the Business and Labor Reporting category for nondaily newspapers for her story “Holocaust Survivor Still Runs Family Business.”

Kurland was cited in the Health and Medical Reporting category for “Mom of Five: Facing Arrest Worth the Fight for Health Care” and in the Spot News Story category for “Jews Join 50,000 Others in Philadelphia Women’s March.”

And in the Professional Keystone Press Awards, Runyan, Kurland and Zighelboim all won awards.

Kurland’s story “Couple of 25 Years Made Love Connection Over Feline Infatuation in Exponent Purr‐sonal Ad” took first place in the News Feature story category.

Runyan placed second in the Editorial category for “Is This Really Happening in NYC?” Zighelboim placed second in the News Feature Story Category for “88‐Year‐Old Backpacker Odysseys to Southeast Asia.”

AEPi Suspended at Ohio State University

The historically Jewish Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) fraternity at Temple University was recently suspended — and former president Ari Goldstein faces attempted rape charges — and now the fraternity’s counterpart at Ohio State University was suspended as well, JTA reported.

Both AEPi and fellow historically Jewish fraternity Sigma Alpha Mu were suspended for hazing activities that violated the university’s Code of Student Conduct.

The fraternities won’t be able to apply for reinstatement until 2023, according to the university’s student newspaper The Lantern.

AEPi at Ohio State has been on probation and educational sanctions since January and was subject to five hearings before the Office of Student Life in 2017-2018; four times it was found in violation.

Author Philip Roth Dies at 85

Famed author Philip Roth, whose work regularly included Jewish themes, died May 22 at the age of 85, JNS.org reported.

Roth’s first book, Goodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories, won the National Book Award in 1960, but his most famous work likely is the 1969 novel Portnoy’s Complaint, which “astonished many in the Jewish world with its dark yet comedic tones, references to religion, and sexual connotations and exploration, and that launched him into a fame that would follow him throughout his career,” JNS wrote.

Roth won a second National Book Award with Sabbath’s Theater and a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with American Pastoral.

Other prominent works include I Married a Communist, The Human Stain and The Plot Against America.

He taught at several universities, including the University of Pennsylvania.