Subscribe To our E-Newsletter
Try to Remember ...
September is "Healthy Aging Month," when individuals over 50 are reminded that those who are physically active, eat a healthy diet, avoid tobacco and alcohol and who get regular check-ups are more likely to look forward to many years of staying healthy and active.
Dr. Augustine E. Agocha, lead physician at Advanced Heart, Lung and Vascular Care in Bordentown, N.J., recommends that older adults follow these five lifestyle tips:
· Maintain a healthy weight. Your doctor can help you determine this.
· Engage in regular physical exercise. Always seek medical advice before starting an exercise program.
· Control your blood pressure.Proper diet and exercise are a great way to start, but if your doctor prescribes medication be sure to take it as directed.
· Consume a healthy diet, rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
· Avoid smoke, both first- and secondhand.
Agocha also recommends regular medical check-ups.