Subscribe To our E-Newsletter
Manuel H. Sloane, 85, Osteopathic Physician, Radiologist
Sloane attended Drexel University in 1942 prior to enlisting in the Army Air Force. During World War II, he was a B17 navigator over Europe. After the war, he graduated from Temple University in 1947, and then from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1952.
In 1953, Sloane and his wife, the former Beatrice Sinoff, moved to Detroit for his radiology residency. After that, he had a private radiology practice for five years in Detroit, New Jersey and Philadelphia.
A founding member of Tri-County in 1960, he served on the board of directors for 10 years. He spent most of his 30-year career as the radiology department chair at Tri-County.
At the height of his career, he stepped down as department chair to take on a fellowship in neuroradiology at the University of Texas, and the M.D. Anderson and Herman hospitals in Houston. When he returned to Philadelphia, he continued to practice radiological medicine at Tri-County and at other regional hospitals.
From 1994 to 1999 when he retired, Sloane served in a teaching capacity at the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Nuclear Medicine.
He served on the board of directors of the American Osteopathic Radiological College from 1975 to 1980, and was its president in 1979. He was named Emeritus to the American Osteopathic Board of Radiology in 1994 after serving on the board for nine years.
He and his wife started a small philanthropic foundation to serve the needs of the community. Gifts included donations to the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, the Jewish Federation, the Philadelphia Zoo, Doctors Without Borders and Hadassah, to name a few.
In addition to his wife, Sloane is survived by a daughter, Ylanah Sloane; sons Elliot Sloane, Martin Sloane and Joel Sloane; and five grandchildren.
Memorial donations can be made to: the PCOM Foundation, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Office of Alumni Relations and Development, 4180 City Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19131-1695.