DR. BERNARD KUSHNER
January 8, 2014
DR. BERNARD KUSHNER, originally appointed to a four year term by Governor David L. Lawrence on the State Board of Optometric Examiners in 1961, has been reappointed since by GOVERNOR SCRANTON, GOVERNOR SCHAEFFER, GOVERNOR SHAPP, and GOVERNOR THORNBURG. He has served as Chairman of the Board for many years. He is a past president of the Pennsylvania Optometric Association, and has been a leader in his profession and civic life since he graduated from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in 1940.
In the past half century, DR. KUSHNER has served several terms as president of Philadelphia County Optometric Society and has held numerous committee chairmanships locally and nationally. He was also instrumental in helping to organize the Multistate Nonprofit Conservation Institute, Inc., an eye conservation organization designed for public service, and served as its first national president for two years. He is a past fellow of the American Academy of Optometry.
In these positions, DR. KUSHNER played an important role in establishing higher standards of training and clinical performance in optometry. His efforts in behalf of his profession have also resulted in his election to the Board of Trustees of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. He has been treasurer of the college administration, and chairman of its finance committee.
When he retired from the State Board of Optometric Examiners in 1984, his colleagues presented him with the plaque which read, “In recognition of your dedicated service to the profession of Optometry and to the citizens of Pennsylvania as a Member of the State Board of Optometric Examiners”.
Over the last 50 years, DR. KUSHNER has attended many lectures, seminars, conferences, study groups, etc. to keep abreast of new developments in optometry. His activities also extend to his community where he is a past president of Congregation Beth T'Fillah of Overbrook Park, and a member of the Equity Lodge F. & A.M. He has also served for many years as Chairman of the Optometric Division of the Allied Jewish Appeal. He also has served as Chairman of Cub Scout Pack No. 103 Boy Scouts of America.
His civic activities have led him into numerous public service phases of highway safety and safety education, including the Highway Safety Committee, Safety Council of the Chamber of Commerce of Greater Philadelphia.
DR. KUSHNER practiced in West Philadelphia where he has maintained offices for over 50 years, where he was an optometric provider for Medicare, PA Department of Welfare Optometric Program, Blue Shield, and its various optometric plans, US Healthcare, AmeriChoice, Keystone Mercy, HealthPartners, Keystone, and QualMed.
He also served on the optometric panel of the Philadelphia police and fire departments, the vision service plans of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia school teachers, and school employees, Local 1201, Delaware Valley retail clerks, Laborers District Council and many other unions. DR. KUSHNER has never been expelled or suspended from any plans that he participates in.
In 1972, DR. KUSHNER was honored by the State of Israel and received the “Shalom Award”. In the same year, he received the 1972 Humanitarian Award from the Allied Jewish Appeal and the Federation of Jewish Agencies in recognition of his humanitarian service. In recognition of his outstanding service in optometry, DR. KUSHNER was the recipient of the Albert Finch Memorial Alumnus of the Year Award in 1973, presented by the Alumni Association of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry.
DR. KUSHNER died on January 5, 2014. Husband of the late HILDA; father of DR. ALAN KUSHNER; and grandfather of ROBERT and BRIAN KUSHNER.
Contributions in his memory may be made to the Adath Israel Temple, 250 N. Highland Avenue, Merion Station, PA 19066.
GOLDSTEINS’ ROSENBERG’S RAPHAEL-SACKS