Congregation Shivtei Yeshuron Ezras Israel
Congregation Shivtei Yeshuron Ezras Israel is a small synagogue near 4th and Snyder in South Philadelphia, located at 2015 S 4th Street. The congregation was founded in 1876 and chartered in 1892. It moved to its current building in 1909, and has continued to hold services on a regular basis. Shivtei Yeshuron follows Nusach Ashkenaz.
This little orthodox shul occupies a row house built between 1886 and 1893. It is one of the last South Philadelphia rowhouse shuls of its kind from a large Jewish population center. Beginning in the 1940s, many Jews from South Philadelphia left the city for the growing suburbs and exurbs. The little shul stands out from the other row homes on the block by its pillared entrance, and name above the doorway.
Shabbos davening is held the first Saturday morning of the month at 10:00 A.M. followed by kiddush and learning, and is open to the public. (Because many congregants are in their 90s, the rule of separating the genders for prayer has been moderately relaxed; the women now sit in the back rows on the synagogue's main level.)